- (704) 291-7100
- (704) 247-9120
- American Association of Orthodontics
- Southern Association of Orthodontics
- American Dental Association
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Southern Dental Society
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, National Dental Honor Society
- Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons, London, England
- MJDF RCS (Diplomat of the Royal College of Surgeons), London, England
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery), University of Liverpool, England
- DDS, New York University College of Dentistry, NY
- Orthodontic Specialty Certificate, Eastman Institute for Oral Health, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Master of Science in Clinical Dental Science, University of Rochester
- Pediatric and Adult Orthodontics
- Invisalign Teen
- Growth Modification/Early Intervention of Developing Bite Issues
- Relief of crowding and alignment of crooked teeth
- Space maintenance
- “Faces first” smile creation, customizing every smile to fit that person’s face and profile
In My Spare Time:
Born in New Jersey, to Irish parents, I moved with my four siblings to County Down, Ireland as a child, where I was raised and educated until it was time to fly the nest for university, where upon I decided to study dentistry. I am the only dentist/orthodontist in my family, so as you can imagine the dinner table is always filled with questions about teeth! I had an amazing childhood in Ireland, peaking in my ‘geekiness’ and rounding off my schooling by becoming the Irish Young scientist of the Year and then the European Union Young Scientist of the Year (I won’t tell you what year as it’ll only date me!).
I moved to Liverpool, England and graduated cum laude with a Bachelors degree in Dental Surgery (BDS), where I remained thereafter in residency and subsequently private general practice, for nine years, gaining my membership to the prestigious Royal College of Surgeons, London, and was honored to be chosen as a faculty for one of the UK’s largest postgraduate residency programs, alongside developing my own private dental practice, both in Merseyside, England.
Ever the adventurer, I decided to return to the United States and completed my Doctor of Dental Surgery degree (DDS) at NYU College of Dentistry, and was inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society (OKU). I then completed a Master of Science (MS) degree in Clinical Dental Science, and additionally, my specialty certificate in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics at the renowned Eastman Institute for Oral Health, at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY.
To be chosen by an adult patient, or by parents to care for their child, transforming not only their smile, but also their self-esteem, confidence and character, will always be one of the most humbling and gratifying parts of my job. My two favorite visits that our patients’ make with us include the first visit after braces have been placed, when they see changes in their smile, and I see a whole new confidence developing; and the final day, when their braces are removed. When they see their new smile and look back at their starting photographs, they beam from ear to ear. It’s nothing short of awesome! To have this instrumental role in a young person’s life, or to provide an adult patient with the treatment they have longed for their whole life, is tremendously gratifying. To be chosen as ‘their orthodontist ‘ makes me the lucky one!
Dr. Markey’s Favorites:
Car: Any Aston Martin would do nicely, thank you
Game Show: I’d love to say Jeopardy, but I’d probably have an unlucky day and not be able to answer any of the questions, so I had better stick to Wheel of Fortune
Pizza Topping: Pepperoni, for sure
Favorite Place on Earth: It’s a tie between Del Mar, CA and County Down Ireland.